Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
Note: All seminars are cancelled.
- Chen Y, Boggess EE, Ocasio ER, Warner A, Kerns L, Drapal V, Gossling C, Ross W, Gourse RL, Shao Z, Dickerson J, Mansell TJ, Jarboe LR, Reverse engineering of fatty acid-tolerant Escherichia coli identifies design strategies for robust microbial cell factories., Metabolic engineering DOI, PubMed
- Boczonádi I, Török Z, Jakab Á, Kónya G, Gyurcsó K, Baranyai E, Szoboszlai Z, Döncző B, Fábián I, Leiter É, Lee MK, Csernoch L, Yu JH, Kertész Z, Emri T, Pócsi I, Increased Cd biosorption capability of Aspergillus nidulans elicited by crpA deletion., Journal of basic microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Anderson BW, Hao A, Satyshur KA, Keck JL, Wang JD, Molecular mechanism of regulation of the purine salvage enzyme XPRT by the alarmones pppGpp, ppGpp, and pGpp., Journal of molecular biology DOI, PubMed
- Lemke RAS, Olson SM, Morse K, Karlen SD, Higbee A, Beebe ET, Ralph J, Coon JJ, Fox BG, Donohue TJ, A bacterial biosynthetic pathway for methylated furan fatty acids., The Journal of biological chemistry DOI, PubMed
- Lemmer KC, Alberge F, Myers KS, Dohnalkova AC, Schaub RE, Lenz JD, Imam S, Dillard JP, Noguera DR, Donohue TJ, The NtrYX Two-Component System Regulates the Bacterial Cell Envelope., mBio DOI, PubMed
- Zhou Z, Tran PQ, Kieft K, Anantharaman K, Genome diversification in globally distributed novel marine Proteobacteria is linked to environmental adaptation., The ISME journal DOI, PubMed
- Schenck CA, Westphal J, Jayaraman D, Garcia K, Wen J, Mysore KS, Ané JM, Sumner LW, Maeda HA, Role of cytosolic, tyrosine-insensitive prephenate dehydrogenase in ., Plant direct DOI, PubMed
- Becker SL, Chiang E, Plantinga A, Carey HV, Suen G, Swoap SJ, Effect of stevia on the gut microbiota and glucose tolerance in a murine model of diet-induced obesity., FEMS microbiology ecology DOI, PubMed