Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Ostrem Loss EM, Yu JH, Bioremediation and microbial metabolism of benzo(a)pyrene., Mol. Microbiol. DOI, PubMed
- Bowers RM, Kyrpides NC, Stepanauskas R, Harmon-Smith M, Doud D, Reddy TBK, Schulz F, Jarett J, Rivers AR, Eloe-Fadrosh EA, Tringe SG, Ivanova NN, Copeland A, Clum A, Becraft ED, Malmstrom RR, Birren B, Podar M, Bork P, Weinstock GM, Garrity GM, Dodsworth JA, Yooseph S, Sutton G, Glöckner FO, Gilbert JA, Nelson WC, Hallam SJ, Jungbluth SP, Ettema TJG, Tighe S, Konstantinidis KT, Liu WT, Baker BJ, Rattei T, Eisen JA, Hedlund B, McMahon KD, Fierer N, Knight R, Finn R, Cochrane G, Karsch-Mizrachi I, Tyson GW, Rinke C, Lapidus A, Meyer F, Yilmaz P, Parks DH, Eren AM, Schriml L, Banfield JF, Hugenholtz P, Woyke T, Corrigendum: Minimum information about a single amplified genome (MISAG) and a metagenome-assembled genome (MIMAG) of bacteria and archaea., Nat. Biotechnol. DOI, PubMed
- Gourse RL, Bouveret E, Linking glucose metabolism to the stringent response through the PTS., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. DOI, PubMed
- Schomer RA, Park H, Barkei JJ, Thomas MG, Alanine Scanning of YbdZ, an MbtH-like Protein, Reveals Essential Residues for Functional Interactions with Its Nonribosomal Peptide Synthetase Partner EntF., Biochemistry DOI, PubMed
- Wassarman KM, 6S RNA, a Global Regulator of Transcription., Microbiol Spectr DOI, PubMed
- Ngwenya ML, Chen W, Basson AK, Shandu JS, Yu JH, Nelson DR, Syed K, Blooming of Unusual Cytochrome P450s by Tandem Duplication in the Pathogenic Fungus ., Int J Mol Sci DOI, PubMed
- Cross TL, Kasahara K, Rey FE, Sexual dimorphism of cardiometabolic dysfunction: Gut microbiome in the play?, Mol Metab DOI, PubMed
- Kwan G, Plagenz B, Cowles K, Pisithkul T, Amador-Noguez D, Barak JD, Few Differences in Metabolic Network Use Found Between Colonization of Plants and Typhoidal Mice., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed