Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Currie CR, Hewitt DG, Ortega-S JA, Schuster GL, Campbell TA, Lohmeyer KH, Wester DB, de León AP, EFFICACY OF WHITE-TAILED DEER () TREATMENT FOR CATTLE FEVER TICKS IN SOUTHERN TEXAS., J. Wildl. Dis. DOI, PubMed
- Son YE, Cho HJ, Chen W, Son SH, Lee MK, Yu JH, Park HS, The role of the VosA-repressed dnjA gene in development and metabolism in Aspergillus species., Curr. Genet. DOI, PubMed
- Sbardellati DL, Fischer A, Cox MS, Li W, Kalscheur KF, Suen G, The bovine epimural microbiota displays compositional and structural heterogeneity across different ruminal locations., J. Dairy Sci. DOI, PubMed
- Al-Shayeb B, Sachdeva R, Chen LX, Ward F, Munk P, Devoto A, Castelle CJ, Olm MR, Bouma-Gregson K, Amano Y, He C, Méheust R, Brooks B, Thomas A, Lavy A, Matheus-Carnevali P, Sun C, Goltsman DSA, Borton MA, Sharrar A, Jaffe AL, Nelson TC, Kantor R, Keren R, Lane KR, Farag IF, Lei S, Finstad K, Amundson R, Anantharaman K, Zhou J, Probst AJ, Power ME, Tringe SG, Li WJ, Wrighton K, Harrison S, Morowitz M, Relman DA, Doudna JA, Lehours AC, Warren L, Cate JHD, Santini JM, Banfield JF, Clades of huge phages from across Earth's ecosystems., Nature DOI, PubMed
- Mote RS, Hill NS, Skarlupka JH, Tran VT, Walker DI, Turner ZB, Sanders ZP, Jones DP, Suen G, Filipov NM, Toxic tall fescue grazing increases susceptibility of the Angus steer fecal microbiota and plasma/urine metabolome to environmental effects., Sci Rep DOI, PubMed
- Jagodnik J, Gourse RL, Deciphering the RNA capping process in bacteria., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. DOI, PubMed
- Alshannaq AF, Yu JH, A Liquid Chromatographic Method for Rapid and Sensitive Analysis of Aflatoxins in Laboratory Fungal Cultures., Toxins (Basel) DOI, PubMed
- Zhang F, Wyche TP, Zhu Y, Braun DR, Yan JX, Chanana S, Ge Y, Guzei IA, Chevrette MG, Currie CR, Thomas MG, Rajski SR, Bugni TS, MS-Derived Isotopic Fine Structure Reveals Forazoline A as a Thioketone-Containing Marine-Derived Natural Product., Org. Lett. DOI, PubMed