Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Thu, Mar 22 @ 3:30 pm
Jochen Zimmer, University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Thu, Apr 5 @ 3:30 pm
Joan Bennett, Rutgers University
- Thu, Apr 12 @ 3:30 pm
Angela Kent, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign.
- Thu, Apr 19 @ 3:30 pm
Nicolas Corradi, University of Ottowa
- Thu, Apr 26 @ 3:30 pm
Sukjoon Jun, Univ of California, San Diego
- Carlos C, Fan H, Currie CR, Substrate Shift Reveals Roles for Members of Bacterial Consortia in Degradation of Plant Cell Wall Polymers., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Wang P, Yu JH, Zhu K, Wang Y, Cheng ZQ, Jiang CS, Dai JG, Wu J, Zhang H, Phenolic bisabolane sesquiterpenoids from a Thai mangrove endophytic fungus, Aspergillus sp. xy02., Fitoterapia DOI, PubMed
- Korosh TC, Dutcher A, Pfleger BF, McMahon KD, Inhibition of Cyanobacterial Growth on a Municipal Wastewater Sidestream Is Impacted by Temperature., mSphere DOI, PubMed
- La Reau AJ, Suen G, The Ruminococci: key symbionts of the gut ecosystem., J. Microbiol. DOI, PubMed
- Dias J, Marcondes MI, Motta de Souza S, Cardoso da Mata B, Noronha MF, Resende RT, Machado FS, Mantovani HC, Dill-McFarland KA, Suen G, Assessing bacterial community dynamics across the gastrointestinal tract of dairy calves during pre-weaning development., Appl. Environ. Microbiol. DOI, PubMed
- Braun DR, Chevrette MG, Acharya DD, Currie CR, Rajski SR, Bugni TS, Draft Genome Sequence of Micromonospora sp. Strain WMMA1996, a Marine Sponge-Associated Bacterium., Genome Announc DOI, PubMed
- Anantharaman K, Hausmann B, Jungbluth SP, Kantor RS, Lavy A, Warren LA, Rappé MS, Pester M, Loy A, Thomas BC, Banfield JF, Expanded diversity of microbial groups that shape the dissimilatory sulfur cycle., ISME J DOI, PubMed
- Kontur WS, Bingman CA, Olmsted CN, Wassarman DR, Ulbrich A, Gall DL, Smith RW, Yusko LM, Fox BG, Noguera DR, Coon JJ, Donohue TJ,
uses a Nu-class glutathione-S-transferase as a glutathione lyase in breaking the β-aryl ether bond of lignin., J. Biol. Chem. DOI, PubMed