Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Keating JA, Shaughnessy C, Baubie K, Kates AE, Putman-Buehler N, Watson L, Dominguez N, Watson K, Cook DB, Rabago D, Suen G, Gangnon R, Safdar N, Characterising the gut microbiome in veterans with Gulf War Illness: a protocol for a longitudinal, prospective cohort study., BMJ Open DOI, PubMed
- Kim S, Zeng W, Bernard S, Liao J, Venkateshwaran M, Ane JM, Jiang Y, Ca-regulated Ca channels with an RCK gating ring control plant symbiotic associations., Nat Commun DOI, PubMed
- Cope KR, Bascaules A, Irving TB, Venkateshwaran M, Maeda J, Garcia K, Rush T, Ma C, Labbe JJ, Jawdy S, Steigerwald E, Setzke J, Fung E, Schnell KG, Wang Y, Schlief N, Bücking H, Strauss SH, Maillet F, Jargeat P, Bécard G, Puech-Pagès V, Ane JM, The Ectomycorrhizal Fungus Laccaria bicolor Produces Lipochitooligosaccharides and Uses the Common Symbiosis Pathway to Colonize Populus Roots., Plant Cell DOI, PubMed
- Yan JX, Chevrette MG, Braun DR, Harper MK, Currie CR, Bugni TS, Madurastatin D1 and D2, Oxazoline Containing Siderophores Isolated from an , Org. Lett. DOI, PubMed
- Bickhart DM, Watson M, Koren S, Panke-Buisse K, Cersosimo LM, Press MO, Van Tassell CP, Van Kessel JAS, Haley BJ, Kim SW, Heiner C, Suen G, Bakshy K, Liachko I, Sullivan ST, Myer PR, Ghurye J, Pop M, Weimer PJ, Phillippy AM, Smith TPL, Assignment of virus and antimicrobial resistance genes to microbial hosts in a complex microbial community by combined long-read assembly and proximity ligation., Genome Biol. DOI, PubMed
- Chevrette MG, Bratburd JR, Currie CR, Stubbendieck RM, Experimental Microbiomes: Models Not to Scale., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Lei M, Liu J, Fang Y, Shao Y, Li L, Yu JH, Chen F, Effects of Different G-Protein α-Subunits on Growth, Development and Secondary Metabolism of M7., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Paludo CR, Pishchany G, Andrade-Dominguez A, Silva-Junior EA, Menezes C, Nascimento FS, Currie CR, Kolter R, Clardy J, Pupo MT, Microbial community modulates growth of symbiotic fungus required for stingless bee metamorphosis., PLoS ONE DOI, PubMed