Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Romano KA, Dill-McFarland KA, Kasahara K, Kerby RL, Vivas EI, Amador-Noguez D, Herd P, Rey FE, Fecal Aliquot Straw Technique (FAST) allows for easy and reproducible subsampling: assessing interpersonal variation in trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO) accumulation., Microbiome DOI, PubMed
- Park CW, Bak Y, Kim MJ, Srinivasrao G, Hwang J, Sung NK, Kim BY, Yu JH, Hong JT, Yoon DY, The Novel Small Molecule STK899704 Promotes Senescence of the Human A549 NSCLC Cells by Inducing DNA Damage Responses and Cell Cycle Arrest., Front Pharmacol DOI, PubMed
- Herren CM, McMahon KD, Keystone taxa predict compositional change in microbial communities., Environ. Microbiol. DOI, PubMed
- Bamal HD, Chen W, Mashele SS, Nelson DR, Kappo AP, Mosa RA, Yu JH, Tuszynski JA, Syed K, Comparative analyses and structural insights of the novel cytochrome P450 fusion protein family CYP5619 in Oomycetes., Sci Rep DOI, PubMed
- Metzger SA, Hernandez LL, Skarlupka JH, Suen G, Walker TM, Ruegg PL, Influence of sampling technique and bedding type on the milk microbiota: Results of a pilot study., J. Dairy Sci. DOI, PubMed
- Theisen E, McDougal CE, Nakanishi M, Stevenson DM, Amador-Noguez D, Rosenberg DW, Knoll LJ, Sauer JD, Cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 Play Contrasting Roles in -Stimulated Immunity., J. Immunol. DOI, PubMed
- Pan J, Hu C, Yu JH, Lipid Biosynthesis as an Antifungal Target., J Fungi (Basel) DOI, PubMed
- Pellett S, Bradshaw M, Tepp WH, Pier CL, Whitemarsh RCM, Chen C, Barbieri JT, Johnson EA, The Light Chain Defines the Duration of Action of Botulinum Toxin Serotype A Subtypes., MBio DOI, PubMed