Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Giammarinaro PI, Young MKM, Steinchen W, Mais CN, Hochberg G, Yang J, Stevenson DM, Amador-Noguez D, Paulus A, Wang JD, Bange G, Diadenosine tetraphosphate regulates biosynthesis of GTP in Bacillus subtilis., Nature microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Goldman AD, Kaçar B, Very early evolution from the perspective of microbial ecology., Environmental microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Irving TB, Chakraborty S, Maia LGS, Knaack S, Conde D, Schmidt HW, Triozzi PM, Simmons CH, Roy S, Kirst M, Ané JM, An LCO-responsive homolog of NODULE INCEPTION positively regulates lateral root formation in Populus sp., Plant physiology DOI, PubMed
- Dade CM, Douzi B, Cambillau C, Ball G, Voulhoux R, Forest KT, The crystal structure of CbpD clarifies substrate-specificity motifs in chitin-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases., Acta crystallographica. Section D, Structural biology DOI, PubMed
- Kates A, Keating J, Baubie K, Putman-Buehler N, Watson L, Godfrey J, Deblois CL, Suen G, Cook DB, Rabago D, Gangnon R, Safdar N, Examining the association between the gastrointestinal microbiota and Gulf War illness: A prospective cohort study., PloS one DOI, PubMed
- Ingle AT, Fortney NW, Myers KS, Walters KA, Scarborough MJ, Donohue TJ, Noguera DR, Metagenome-Assembled Genomes from a Microbiome Grown in Dairy Manure Hydrolysate., Microbiology resource announcements DOI, PubMed
- Cao Y, Aquino-Martinez R, Hutchison E, Allayee H, Lusis AJ, Rey FE, Role of gut microbe-derived metabolites in cardiometabolic diseases: Systems based approach., Molecular metabolism DOI, PubMed
- Fortney NW, Myers KS, Ingle AT, Walters KA, Scarborough MJ, Donohue TJ, Noguera DR, Metagenomes and Metagenome-Assembled Genomes from Microbiomes Metabolizing Thin Stillage from an Ethanol Biorefinery., Microbiology resource announcements DOI, PubMed