Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Chevrette MG, Carlos-Shanley C, Louie KB, Bowen BP, Northen TR, Currie CR, Taxonomic and Metabolic Incongruence in the Ancient Genus ., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Felczak MM, Jacobson TB, Ong WK, Amador-Noguez D, TerAvest MA, Expression of Phosphofructokinase Is Not Sufficient to Enable Embden-Meyerhof-Parnas Glycolysis in ZM4., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Mevers E, Saurí J, Helfrich EJN, Henke M, Barns KJ, Bugni TS, Andes D, Currie CR, Clardy J, Pyonitrins A-D: Chimeric Natural Products Produced by ., J. Am. Chem. Soc. DOI, PubMed
- Kim S, Zeng W, Bernard S, Liao J, Venkateshwaran M, Ane JM, Jiang Y, Publisher Correction: Ca-regulated Ca channels with an RCK gating ring control plant symbiotic associations., Nat Commun DOI, PubMed
- Anderson BW, Liu K, Wolak C, Dubiel K, She F, Satyshur KA, Keck JL, Wang JD, Evolution of (p)ppGpp-HPRT regulation through diversification of an allosteric oligomeric interaction., Elife DOI, PubMed
- Tatli M, Hebert AS, Coon JJ, Amador-Noguez D, Genome Wide Phosphoproteome Analysis of Under Anaerobic, Aerobic, and N-Fixing Conditions., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Park JO, Tanner LB, Wei MH, Khana DB, Jacobson TB, Zhang Z, Rubin SA, Li SH, Higgins MB, Stevenson DM, Amador-Noguez D, Rabinowitz JD, Near-equilibrium glycolysis supports metabolic homeostasis and energy yield., Nat. Chem. Biol. DOI, PubMed
- Lawson CE, Harcombe WR, Hatzenpichler R, Lindemann SR, Löffler FE, O'Malley MA, García Martín H, Pfleger BF, Raskin L, Venturelli OS, Weissbrodt DG, Noguera DR, McMahon KD, Common principles and best practices for engineering microbiomes., Nat. Rev. Microbiol. DOI, PubMed