Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Choi YH, Lee MW, Igbalajobi OA, Yu JH, Shin KS, Transcriptomic and Functional Studies of the RGS Protein Rax1 in Aspergillus fumigatus., Pathogens DOI, PubMed
- Koendjbiharie JG, Hon S, Pabst M, Hooftman R, Stevenson DM, Cui J, Amador-Noguez D, Lynd LR, Olson DG, van Kranenburg R, The pentose phosphate pathway of cellulolytic clostridia relies on 6-phosphofructokinase instead of transaldolase., J. Biol. Chem. DOI, PubMed
- Firmino FC, Porcellato D, Cox M, Suen G, Broadbent JR, Steele JL, Characterization of microbial communities in ethanol biorefineries., J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. DOI, PubMed
- Ryu MH, Zhang J, Toth T, Khokhani D, Geddes BA, Mus F, Garcia-Costas A, Peters JW, Poole PS, Ané JM, Voigt CA, Control of nitrogen fixation in bacteria that associate with cereals., Nat Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Chen J, Gopalkrishnan S, Chiu C, Chen AY, Campbell EA, Gourse RL, Ross W, Darst SA, TraR allosterically regulates transcription initiation by altering RNA polymerase conformation., Elife DOI, PubMed
- Paez-Espino D, Zhou J, Roux S, Nayfach S, Pavlopoulos GA, Schulz F, McMahon KD, Walsh D, Woyke T, Ivanova NN, Eloe-Fadrosh EA, Tringe SG, Kyrpides NC, Diversity, evolution, and classification of virophages uncovered through global metagenomics., Microbiome DOI, PubMed
- Pankievicz VCS, Irving TB, Maia LGS, Ané JM, Are we there yet? The long walk towards the development of efficient symbiotic associations between nitrogen-fixing bacteria and non-leguminous crops., BMC Biol. DOI, PubMed
- Anderson BW, Wang JD, Toxin discovery reveals fresh ammunition for bacterial warfare., Nature DOI, PubMed