Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
Google Drive link (campus login required) to the agenda for our next Bacteriology Faculty meeting.
- Tran PQ, Bachand SC, Hotvedt JC, Kieft K, McDaniel EA, McMahon KD, Anantharaman K, Physiological and genomic evidence of cysteine degradation and aerobic hydrogen sulfide production in freshwater bacteria., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Lakey BD, Alberge F, Parrell D, Wright ER, Noguera DR, Donohue TJ, The role of CenKR in the coordination of Rhodobacter sphaeroides cell elongation and division., mBio DOI, PubMed
- Kasahara K, Kerby RL, Zhang Q, Pradhan M, Mehrabian M, Lusis AJ, Bergström G, Bäckhed F, Rey FE, Gut bacterial metabolism contributes to host global purine homeostasis., Cell host & microbe DOI, PubMed
- Hutchison ER, Kasahara K, Zhang Q, Vivas EI, Cross TL, Rey FE, Dissecting the impact of dietary fiber type on atherosclerosis in mice colonized with different gut microbial communities., NPJ biofilms and microbiomes DOI, PubMed
- Myers KS, Ingle AT, Walters KA, Fortney NW, Scarborough MJ, Donohue TJ, Noguera DR, Comparison of metagenomes from fermentation of various agroindustrial residues suggests a common model of community organization., Frontiers in bioengineering and biotechnology DOI, PubMed
- Mangalea MR, Keift K, Duerkop BA, Anantharaman K, Assembly and Annotation of Viral Metagenomes from Short-Read Sequencing Data., Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) DOI, PubMed
- Actis Dato V, Paz MC, Rey FE, Sánchez MC, Llorente-Cortés V, Chiabrando GA, Ceschin DG, Transcriptional analysis reveals that the intracellular lipid accumulation impairs gene expression profiles involved in insulin response-associated cardiac functionality., Scientific reports DOI, PubMed
- Llada IM, Lourenco JM, Dycus MM, Carpenter JM, Suen G, Hill NS, Filipov NM, Behavioral and Physiological Alterations in Angus Steers Grazing Endophyte-Infected Toxic Fescue during Late Fall., Toxins DOI, PubMed