Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Kehoe SI, Dill-McFarland KA, Breaker JD, Suen G, Effects of corn silage inclusion in preweaning calf diets., J. Dairy Sci. DOI, PubMed
- Senate LM, Tjatji MP, Pillay K, Chen W, Zondo NM, Syed PR, Mnguni FC, Chiliza ZE, Bamal HD, Karpoormath R, Khoza T, Mashele SS, Blackburn JM, Yu JH, Nelson DR, Syed K, Similarities, variations, and evolution of cytochrome P450s in Streptomyces versus Mycobacterium., Sci Rep DOI, PubMed
- Miller IJ, Rees ER, Ross J, Miller I, Baxa J, Lopera J, Kerby RL, Rey FE, Kwan JC, Autometa: automated extraction of microbial genomes from individual shotgun metagenomes., Nucleic Acids Res. DOI, PubMed
- Moriano-Gutierrez S, Koch EJ, Bussan H, Romano K, Belcaid M, Rey FE, Ruby EG, McFall-Ngai MJ, Critical symbiont signals drive both local and systemic changes in diel and developmental host gene expression., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. DOI, PubMed
- Bouma-Gregson K, Olm MR, Probst AJ, Anantharaman K, Power ME, Banfield JF, Impacts of microbial assemblage and environmental conditions on the distribution of anatoxin-a producing cyanobacteria within a river network., ISME J DOI, PubMed
- Martien JI, Hebert AS, Stevenson DM, Regner MR, Khana DB, Coon JJ, Amador-Noguez D, Systems-Level Analysis of Oxygen Exposure in : Implications for Isoprenoid Production., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Carroll C, Olsen KD, Ricks NJ, Dill-McFarland KA, Suen G, Robinson TF, Chaston JM, Bacterial Communities in the Alpaca Gastrointestinal Tract Vary With Diet and Body Site., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Chevrette MG, Carlson CM, Ortega HE, Thomas C, Ananiev GE, Barns KJ, Book AJ, Cagnazzo J, Carlos C, Flanigan W, Grubbs KJ, Horn HA, Hoffmann FM, Klassen JL, Knack JJ, Lewin GR, McDonald BR, Muller L, Melo WGP, Pinto-Tomás AA, Schmitz A, Wendt-Pienkowski E, Wildman S, Zhao M, Zhang F, Bugni TS, Andes DR, Pupo MT, Currie CR, The antimicrobial potential of Streptomyces from insect microbiomes., Nat Commun DOI, PubMed