Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Sublette MG, Cross TL, Korcarz CE, Hansen KM, Murga-Garrido SM, Hazen SL, Wang Z, Oguss MK, Rey FE, Stein JH, Effects of Smoking and Smoking Cessation on the Intestinal Microbiota., Journal of clinical medicine DOI, PubMed
- Lee MK, Son YE, Park HS, Alshannaq A, Han KH, Yu JH, Velvet activated McrA plays a key role in cellular and metabolic development in Aspergillus nidulans., Scientific reports DOI, PubMed
- Francoeur CB, Khadempour L, Moreira-Soto RD, Gotting K, Book AJ, Pinto-Tomás AA, Keefover-Ring K, Currie CR, Bacteria Contribute to Plant Secondary Compound Degradation in a Generalist Herbivore System., mBio DOI, PubMed
- Li H, Young SE, Poulsen M, Currie CR, Symbiont-Mediated Digestion of Plant Biomass in Fungus-Farming Insects., Annual review of entomology DOI, PubMed
- Keller C, Wei P, Wancewicz B, Cross TL, Rey FE, Li L, Extraction optimization for combined metabolomics, peptidomics, and proteomics analysis of gut microbiota samples., Journal of mass spectrometry : JMS DOI, PubMed
- Myers KS, Vera JM, Lemmer KC, Linz AM, Landick R, Noguera DR, Donohue TJ, Genome-Wide Identification of Transcription Start Sites in Two , Rhodobacter sphaeroides 2.4.1 and Novosphingobium aromaticivorans DSM 12444., Microbiology resource announcements DOI, PubMed
- Schroeder JW, Sankar TS, Wang JD, Simmons LA, The roles of replication-transcription conflict in mutagenesis and evolution of genome organization., PLoS genetics DOI, PubMed
- Pinto ACJ, Bertoldi GP, Felizari LD, Dias EFF, Demartini BL, Nunes ABCP, Squizatti MM, Silvestre AM, Oliveira LFR, Skarlupka JH, Rodrigues PHM, Cruz GD, Suen G, Millen DD, Ruminal Fermentation Pattern, Bacterial Community Composition, and Nutrient Digestibility of Nellore Cattle Submitted to Either Nutritional Restriction or Intake of Concentrate Feedstuffs Prior to Adaptation Period., Frontiers in microbiology DOI, PubMed