Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Chacón-Vargas K, McCarthy CO, Choi D, Wang L, Yu JH, Gibbons JG, Comparison of Two Aspergillus oryzae Genomes From Different Clades Reveals Independent Evolution of Alpha-Amylase Duplication, Variation in Secondary Metabolism Genes, and Differences in Primary Metabolism., Frontiers in microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Lopes DRG, de Souza Duarte M, La Reau AJ, Chaves IZ, de Oliveira Mendes TA, Detmann E, Bento CBP, Mercadante MEZ, Bonilha SFM, Suen G, Mantovani HC, Assessing the relationship between the rumen microbiota and feed efficiency in Nellore steers., Journal of animal science and biotechnology DOI, PubMed
- Myers KS, Noguera DR, Donohue TJ, Promoter Architecture Differences among Alphaproteobacteria and Other Bacterial Taxa., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- McDaniel EA, Moya-Flores F, Keene Beach N, Camejo PY, Oyserman BO, Kizaric M, Khor EH, Noguera DR, McMahon KD, Metabolic Differentiation of Co-occurring Accumulibacter Clades Revealed through Genome-Resolved Metatranscriptomics., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Zhao Y, Lee MK, Lim J, Moon H, Park HS, Zheng W, Yu JH, The putative sensor histidine kinase VadJ coordinates development and sterigmatocystin production in Aspergillus nidulans., Journal of microbiology (Seoul, Korea) DOI, PubMed
- Cook TB, Jacobson TB, Venkataraman MV, Hofstetter H, Amador-Noguez D, Thomas MG, Pfleger BF, Stepwise genetic engineering of Pseudomonas putida enables robust heterologous production of prodigiosin and glidobactin A., Metabolic engineering DOI, PubMed
- Henry KK, Ross W, Gourse RL, Rhodobacter sphaeroides CarD Negatively Regulates Its Own Promoter., Journal of bacteriology DOI, PubMed
- Wahlig TA, Stanton E, Godfrey JJ, Stasic AJ, Wong ACL, Kaspar CW, A Single Nucleotide Polymorphism in lptG Increases Tolerance to Bile Salts, Acid, and Staining of Calcofluor-Binding Polysaccharides in Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium E40., Frontiers in microbiology DOI, PubMed