Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Garcia SL, Mehrshad M, Buck M, Tsuji JM, Neufeld JD, McMahon KD, Bertilsson S, Greening C, Peura S, Freshwater Chlorobia Exhibit Metabolic Specialization among Cosmopolitan and Endemic Populations., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Francoeur CB, May DS, Thairu MW, Hoang DQ, Panthofer O, Bugni TS, Pupo MT, Clardy J, Pinto-Tomás AA, Currie CR, Burkholderia from fungus gardens of fungus-growing ants produce antifungals that inhibit the specialized parasite Escovopsis ., Applied and environmental microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Jia L, Yu JH, Chen F, Chen W, Characterization of the asexual developmental genes brlA and wetA in Monascus ruber M7., Fungal genetics and biology : FG & B DOI, PubMed
- McDaniel EA, Wever R, Oyserman BO, Noguera DR, McMahon KD, Genome-Resolved Metagenomics of a Photosynthetic Bioreactor Performing Biological Nutrient Removal., Microbiology resource announcements DOI, PubMed
- Mangalea MR, Paez-Espino D, Kieft K, Chatterjee A, Chriswell ME, Seifert JA, Feser ML, Demoruelle MK, Sakatos A, Anantharaman K, Deane KD, Kuhn KA, Holers VM, Duerkop BA, Individuals at risk for rheumatoid arthritis harbor differential intestinal bacteriophage communities with distinct metabolic potential., Cell host & microbe DOI, PubMed
- Doden HL, Wolf PG, Gaskins HR, Anantharaman K, Alves JMP, Ridlon JM, Completion of the gut microbial epi-bile acid pathway., Gut microbes DOI, PubMed
- Weng YM, Francoeur CB, Currie CR, Kavanaugh DH, Schoville SD, A high-quality carabid genome assembly provides insights into beetle genome evolution and cold adaptation., Molecular ecology resources DOI, PubMed
- Choi YH, Jun SC, Lee MW, Yu JH, Shin KS, Characterization of the mbsA Gene Encoding a Putative APSES Transcription Factor in Aspergillus fumigatus ., International journal of molecular sciences DOI, PubMed