Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
Note: All seminars are cancelled.
- Olson WJ, Martorelli Di Genova B, Gallego-Lopez G, Dawson AR, Stevenson D, Amador-Noguez D, Knoll LJ, Dual metabolomic profiling uncovers Toxoplasma manipulation of the host metabolome and the discovery of a novel parasite metabolic capability., PLoS Pathog. DOI, PubMed
- Chen LX, Anantharaman K, Shaiber A, Eren AM, Banfield JF, Accurate and complete genomes from metagenomes., Genome Res. DOI, PubMed
- Kates AE, Jarrett O, Skarlupka JH, Sethi A, Duster M, Watson L, Suen G, Poulsen K, Safdar N, Household Pet Ownership and the Microbial Diversity of the Human Gut Microbiota., Front Cell Infect Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Jacobson TB, Korosh TK, Stevenson DM, Foster C, Maranas C, Olson DG, Lynd LR, Amador-Noguez D, Thermodynamic Analysis of Glycolysis in Clostridium thermocellum and Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum Using C and H Tracers., mSystems DOI, PubMed
- Holwerda EK, Olson DG, Ruppertsberger NM, Stevenson DM, Murphy SJL, Maloney MI, Lanahan AA, Amador-Noguez D, Lynd LR, Metabolic and evolutionary responses of to genetic interventions aimed at improving ethanol production., Biotechnol Biofuels DOI, PubMed
- Chen J, Chiu C, Gopalkrishnan S, Chen AY, Olinares PDB, Saecker RM, Winkelman JT, Maloney MF, Chait BT, Ross W, Gourse RL, Campbell EA, Darst SA, Stepwise Promoter Melting by Bacterial RNA Polymerase., Mol. Cell DOI, PubMed
- Nemet I, Saha PP, Gupta N, Zhu W, Romano KA, Skye SM, Cajka T, Mohan ML, Li L, Wu Y, Funabashi M, Ramer-Tait AE, Naga Prasad SV, Fiehn O, Rey FE, Tang WHW, Fischbach MA, DiDonato JA, Hazen SL, A Cardiovascular Disease-Linked Gut Microbial Metabolite Acts via Adrenergic Receptors., Cell DOI, PubMed
- Paudel D, Liu F, Wang L, Crook M, Maya S, Peng Z, Kelley K, Ané JM, Wang J, Isolation, Characterization, and Complete Genome Sequence of a Strain Lb8 From Nodules of Peanut Utilizing Crack Entry Infection., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed