Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Phillips AM, Sanchez S, Sysoeva TA, Burton BM, Kearns DB, Molecular and cell biological analysis of SwrB in Bacillus subtilis ., Journal of bacteriology DOI, PubMed
- Kieft K, Zhou Z, Anderson RE, Buchan A, Campbell BJ, Hallam SJ, Hess M, Sullivan MB, Walsh DA, Roux S, Anantharaman K, Ecology of inorganic sulfur auxiliary metabolism in widespread bacteriophages., Nature communications DOI, PubMed
- Arango RA, Schoville SD, Currie CR, Carlos-Shanley C, Experimental Warming Reduces Survival, Cold Tolerance, and Gut Prokaryotic Diversity of the Eastern Subterranean Termite, Reticulitermes flavipes (Kollar)., Frontiers in microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Clark RL, Connors BM, Stevenson DM, Hromada SE, Hamilton JJ, Amador-Noguez D, Venturelli OS, Design of synthetic human gut microbiome assembly and butyrate production., Nature communications DOI, PubMed
- Murga-Garrido SM, Hong Q, Cross TL, Hutchison ER, Han J, Thomas SP, Vivas EI, Denu J, Ceschin DG, Tang ZZ, Rey FE, Gut microbiome variation modulates the effects of dietary fiber on host metabolism., Microbiome DOI, PubMed
- Cansado-Utrilla C, Zhao SY, McCall PJ, Coon KL, Hughes GL, The microbiome and mosquito vectorial capacity: rich potential for discovery and translation., Microbiome DOI, PubMed
- Ohashi K, Hataya S, Nakata A, Matsumoto K, Kato N, Sato W, Carlos-Shanley C, Beebe ET, Currie CR, Fox BG, Takasuka TE, Mannose and mannobiose specific responses of insect associated cellulolytic Streptomyces ., Applied and environmental microbiology DOI, PubMed
- Garcia SL, Mehrshad M, Buck M, Tsuji JM, Neufeld JD, McMahon KD, Bertilsson S, Greening C, Peura S, Freshwater Chlorobia Exhibit Metabolic Specialization among Cosmopolitan and Endemic Populations., mSystems DOI, PubMed