Thank you for visiting the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Bacteriology. For more than a century, we have been known for outstanding research and teaching, and we are committed to a future in which this excellence will continue.
In brief, we produce discoveries that contribute to basic knowledge, we develop practical applications that affect lives, and we provide superior training for the next generation of microbiologists. The training we provide allows undergraduate and graduate students to begin careers that contribute to the world in many ways -- in research, teaching, industry, entrepreneurship, scientific writing and editing, and government service. Our faculty, staff, and students have created a vibrant place to learn, teach, and conduct research, a place rich in opportunity, ideas, creativity, and resources, and a place where people can flourish and discover their own potential. Because we engage people with widely differing backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and styles, we achieve excellence through diversity.
You can help support the Department of Bacteriology by making a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Make a Gift
- Lopes DRG, La Reau AJ, Duarte MS, Detmann E, Bento CBP, Mercadante MEZ, Bonilha SFM, Suen G, Mantovani HC, The Bacterial and Fungal Microbiota of Nelore Steers Is Dynamic Across the Gastrointestinal Tract and Its Fecal-Associated Microbiota Is Correlated to Feed Efficiency., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Labbé J, Muchero W, Czarnecki O, Wang J, Wang X, Bryan AC, Zheng K, Yang Y, Xie M, Zhang J, Wang D, Meidl P, Wang H, Morrell-Falvey JL, Cope KR, Maia LGS, Ané JM, Mewalal R, Jawdy SS, Gunter LE, Schackwitz W, Martin J, Le Tacon F, Li T, Zhang Z, Ranjan P, Lindquist E, Yang X, Jacobson DA, Tschaplinski TJ, Barry K, Schmutz J, Chen JG, Tuskan GA, Mediation of plant-mycorrhizal interaction by a lectin receptor-like kinase., Nat Plants DOI, PubMed
- Radzinski NP, Besprozvannaya M, McLean EL, Talwalkar A, Burton BM, DNA-Membrane Anchor Facilitates Efficient Chromosome Translocation at a Distance in Bacillus subtilis., MBio DOI, PubMed
- Dash S, Olson DG, Joshua Chan SH, Amador-Noguez D, Lynd LR, Maranas CD, Thermodynamic analysis of the pathway for ethanol production from cellobiose in Clostridium thermocellum., Metab. Eng. DOI, PubMed
- Akapo OO, Padayachee T, Chen W, Kappo AP, Yu JH, Nelson DR, Syed K, Distribution and Diversity of Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenases in the Fungal Class ., Int J Mol Sci DOI, PubMed
- Rodriguez-Castaño GP, Dorris MR, Liu X, Bolling BW, Acosta-Gonzalez A, Rey FE, Starch Utilization Promotes Quercetin Degradation and Butyrate Production by ., Front Microbiol DOI, PubMed
- Dharampal PS, Carlson C, Currie CR, Steffan SA, Pollen-borne microbes shape bee fitness., Proc. Biol. Sci. DOI, PubMed
- Syed PR, Chen W, Nelson DR, Kappo AP, Yu JH, Karpoormath R, Syed K, Cytochrome P450 Monooxygenase CYP139 Family Involved in the Synthesis of Secondary Metabolites in 824 Mycobacterial Species., Int J Mol Sci DOI, PubMed